Live Like You Were Dying (2003)
Unfamiliar with this week’s song. Hear it here.
1) This song is about a man whose father advises him to live life to the fullest, to become “the friend you’d like to have.” How about you? Are you the friend you’d like to have? You know, there are things I could do better, but overall, yes.
2) The song lists several “bucket list” items: skydiving, mountain climbing, riding a bull. Have you done any of those things? Would you like to? I haven’t done any of them. I would love to climb a mountain, I could probably be talked into skydiving, but I would never ride a bull, not entirely because of safety–although that is a factor–but more because I don’t see the point and don’t like the idea of using an animal in that way.
3) In the music video, Tim McGraw is wearing a white button-down shirt, blue jeans and a cowboy hat. Which of those items is in your wardrobe? Definitely jeans, maybe a white button-down.
4) He wears a cowboy hat because he is embarrassed by the size of his forehead. When you wear a hat, are you more likely doing it for style, like Tim, or for protection from the elements? The elements. The closest I come to style is a little white knit hat I have, but even then, it’s only really coming out in cooler weather.
5) McGraw’s biological father was Tug McGraw, pitcher for the Mets and Phillies. How did your baseball team do this season? My team is the Pittsburgh Pirates and that’s all I need to say for you to know how they did this season.
6) Tim McGraw and wife Faith Hill live just outside of Nashville. They enjoy inviting friends over to sit around a bonfire, drinking beer and playing guitars. Tell us about the most recent gettogether you had with friends. My friend Marissa just bought a house and had a housewarming party. It was a pretty standard deal for us with booze, a board game, and conversations that ranged from the serious to the absurd, but it was a lot of fun and we had a really good time.
7) Tim likes his tattoos. He admits his silliest one — a leprechaun wearing a cowboy hat — was acquired during a night of drinking. Do you have a tattoo? If so, are you glad you have it and would you get it again? I have a small heart on my wrist. My feelings towards it now are…complicated, given the circumstances under which I got it. And whether or not I’d get it again is also…complicated. I guess I’d say if I could go back in time and talk to myself and tell myself about things that happened afterwards, I absolutely would not. I intend to make some changes to it, actually.
8) In 2003, when this song was popular, the supersonic Concord took its last flight. When did you most recently board a plane? What was your destination? It’s been a good few years. I think it would’ve been when I flew to St. Louis (and back, of course) with my dad to go to my brother’s graduation from boot camp.
9) Random question: When did you last walk around the house naked? This morning, I think! I was only wearing a pair of red pajama shorts and did laundry, and I happened to be washing reds and figured I might as well take them off and toss them in. So I was naked after that, until I put on a different pair of pajama shorts.