- What area of your life has lately (and pleasantly) been on cruise control? Work. Now, my job is more complicated than it sounds, but I’m accustomed to it that I just fall right into patterns and have noticed I even sometimes space out at work but still do a good job, which is weird. I work in closed captioning, and sometimes–although rarely–I’ll find that I’ve stopped paying attention while transcribing but still have a nearly flawless transcription, or I’ll do the same while timing and placing captions or reviewing the show but find my mind still catches my mistakes.
- Where in your life should you probably hit the brakes? I should probably take a weekend to just stay home and do nothing. I’m always doing something, usually working, magazine business, or spending time with Paul. I mean, even he wants me to take a day to myself.
- Where do you go when you just need a little tune-up? I guess it depends. Almost always, I’m better by myself at home–I’ll blog, legit write, watch a movie, listen to music, and I’m kind of fixed. At the same time, unless Paul is the problem (and even then sometimes when he is), he can fix just about anything. That whole graduation debacle unfolded while I was in State College with him, but the shit really hit the fan the day I got back. It hit the fan so hard that I drove back out there a few days later–I believe I got home and the shit hit on Monday, I left again Saturday–just because I didn’t want to be anywhere else, not even home. He was pretty much powerless and could only listen and sympathize, but I just wanted to be with him. In fact, without him (and Terra!) I would’ve crashed and burned in the past few months, I’m sure.
- How much junk have you got in the trunk? In my literal car trunk, a lot but less than I used to. I have removed the box of treasures I won at a calendar party and dropped off the recycling, but I still have a mixer and lampshades. And maybe one of the lamps. Figuratively, I have a big ass. Fortunately, it usually receives praise and admiration.
- Where is the needle on your fuel gauge pointing today? A little bit above empty. I’m tired, but I still have 2 1/2 hours before bedtime, meaning lots of potential to get things done I need to get done.
But really? No lube metaphor?