As always, from The Friday 5.
- The motto of the Brownies is “Lend a hand.” If this were the personal motto of someone you know, who would it be? Maybe Paul. He tend to be pretty quick to offer to help. He once cleaned my entire kitchen. I think it was partly to suck up after fucking up royal, but it still happened. He also keeps saying that as soon as he gets a car, he’s coming over to help me clean my apartment, which means he must think this place is a hot mess (it is).
- The motto of the Olympic Games is “Citius, Altius, Fortius” (“Higher, Faster, Stronger”). If this were the personal motto of someone you know, who would it be? Maybe my mom, simply because she doesn’t know how to stop working (neither do I).
- I don’t think it’s a motto, but Apple, Inc.’s tagline for some time has been “Think different.” Grammatical iffiness aside, if this were the personal motto of someone you know, who would it be? Me, because I don’t think my brain operates quite the same as everyone else’s. I’ve complained plenty about feeling misunderstood. Or Paul for similar reasons but also because I know what’s in his brain and it’s some crazy shit sometimes.
- Here are some food-related marketing slogans: “The incredible, edible egg.” “Beef: It’s what’s for dinner.” “Got milk?” What would be a cool marketing slogan for something you’ve eaten in the past twenty-four hours that doesn’t already have one? I can’t think of a good slogan, but that amazing milkshake I had last night deserves one.
- Here is a very long list of cool Latin phrases. Which will you adopt as your personal motto for the upcoming week? “Acta non verba,” meaning “deeds, not words.” I’m a firm believer in the “actions speak louder than words” cliche, so I aim to actually do and not be all talk.