As always, from The Music Memoirs.
Top 5 songs that get you ready for the summer
1. “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk The album itself may be receiving mixed reactions, but honestly, with a great beat and hints of funk and disco, it’s a great dancey song that’s fun and perfect for summer…and summer nights of getting lucky, of course. Not to mention it was first teased at a music festival, which we all know are defining moments of summer.
2. “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke If you’re surprised I like a Robin Thicke song, so am I. But it’s catch, again, with a great beat, and it’s sexy both musically and lyrically. And with summer heat and romances and such, for some reason, such a song seems perfect for summer.
3. “Jessica” by Major Lazer With a bit of a reggae feel and even lyrical mentions of bathing suits drying on porches, this song just sounds like summer. It’s the kind of song that’s designed to go on a summer 2013 playlist to be listened to in the car with all the windows down on a sunny day.
4. “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits Honestly, this song has nothing to do with summer and isn’t necessarily the typical song you’d associate with summer, which tends to be either bubblegum pop or reggae, but the guitar riff is awesome and just sounds summery to me. Maybe that’s because it’s really good and sounds good really loud, and loud music is best enjoyed in none other than the summer in the car with all the windows down.
5. “Dreams” by The Cranberries It’s such a light, dreamy song that it’s wonderful for summer. Music that gets you ready for summer has to be uplifting–which is why lots of catchy yet angry songs got booted out of this list–and this nails it.