I’m back home! It’s kind of nice. Traveling with my dad wasn’t horrible, but it did get tedious. I’m glad it’s over.

Seeing Brandon was nice, though, and I could tell he was glad we were there and happy to see us.

The drill competition they had was neat, and Brandon’s unit won. They basically just went through different formations and things, with winner chosen by crowd applause.

After that, we were able to spend time on base with Brandon for a few hours. We went to the PX, did a little bit of shopping for souvenirs and some things Brandon needed, then ate in the food court–he wanted pizza. And then we pretty much just hung out on base, driving around and getting caught up on what Brandon’s been up to the past 10 weeks and catching him up on what we’ve been up to the past 10 weeks, plus what’s been happening in the world since he’s had basically no access to news.

I would’ve liked to check out some of the museums on base, but we didn’t do it. And when we got back in for the night, I passed right out until time for breakfast Thursday morning.

My dad complained about me snoring a good bit. I’m sure I did our first night in because I was so tired, but the more he complained, the more I thought he was either exaggerating or bullshitting completely. Besides, if he wasn’t, he deserves to be kept up–his snoring is far, far worse. I think this week was the worst I’ve ever heard it from him.

We had Brandon’s basic training graduation Thursday morning, and I filmed some parts–especially with him–for my mom. And after that, he was free to leave base, as long as he didn’t go too far. We pretty much went back to the hotel, hung out, and ate. We FaceTimed my mom, ordered dinner from a bar and grill right down the road, and that was about it. We took him back to base pretty early, hung out there for a little bit more, then went our ways. Brandon even got a little teary-eyed.

Friday morning, my dad and I got up around 4, got all our shit together, drove the two hours back into St. Louis, had some breakfast in the airport, then hopped on a plane back home–just in time to hear they’ve raised to threat level on military bases and that a bank a few blocks from my apartment was in the process of being robbed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s