- How do you feel about the smell of babies? I’ve never really noticed it, unless it’s a dirty-diaper smell. In which case, it’s gross.
- Pretty much all animal babies are cute, but which are the cutest? I honestly can’t choose. I ridiculously overreact to them all.
- Veggies are pretty good in their adult form, but put the word “baby” in front of some of their names, and they can be transcendent. Which baby veggies do you especially love? Probably baby carrots, but as a child, I really loved baby corn. There’s an incident that’s infamous within the family where I used to get a little plate of veggies as a kid when we’d eat at the country club my grandfather belonged to, and my dad ate my baby corn because my dad has a longstanding tradition of thinking taking food from toddlers and very young children is funny. So I threw a tantrum, and being a child, I insisted I have that specific baby corn and not the replacement baby corn the waitstaff brought me. Because toddler logic.
- How cute a baby were you? Adorable! Especially in my toddler years, with my dark eyes, blonde hair, and dimples.
- How many songs in your digital library have the word “baby” in their titles, and which is your favorite? There are 80. My favorites are “Beating Heart Baby” by Head Automatica, “Blues for Baby and Me” by Elton John, “Bye, Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye)” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, “Four Score/Abie Baby” from Hair, and “Plug in Baby” by Muse.
The weekend was pretty low-key.
I got my hair cut, which is nice because I prefer it short. Paul was supposed to get his car inspected but they ended up not being able to do the emissions test because they ran out of stickers for it, which is pretty dumb, so after hanging out and watching Bruce Jenner’s interview and doing laundry at my parents’, I met up with Paul and Emily for lunch at Fiesta Azteca. The rest of the family was out and about, and Emily didn’t really feel like being around with them, so she feigned a minor illness and got a free Mexican lunch out of it with us. Plus she’s my favorite and I’ve decided I need to make her my best friend, even though she’s like eight years younger than me.
Quick note about that Bruce Jenner interview, while I’m thinking about it: I thought it was well-done, respectful, informative, and of course so brave of him to do. It’s sad and cruel that comedians–including some I love–have used him as a punchline, and I’ll fight anyone who mocks him or disrespects him. And I can’t fucking stand the Kardashians.
Paul got me to head back to his parents’ house for a little bit while no one else was there, and is parents were headed off to Geibel’s fundraiser auction later on anyway, so even when they did come home, we didn’t interact with them very long. The perk here is this makes it seem like I’m not avoiding them outright, although I don’t even care about keeping up appearances anymore. In fact, Paul’s dad has said in the past to him that no matter what, they can’t let his mom know that she’s actually fucked her kids up more than she raised them well, and I’ve made it pretty clear that I have no intention of upholding that ludicrous lie should the subject come up.
Sunday, Paul and I hit the Chinese buffet in Greensburg, then went for a walk. I’m trying to push myself to go a little bit farther each time, but my little body wasn’t too happy with me for it. But it was probably good for me.
As for the future, this weekend brings a movie trip with Ryun with whatever group he has amassed, Frankie Valli in concert Sunday, Ben Folds Monday, and Tuesday I fly out with my dad for Brandon’s boot-camp graduation. I’ll be in Missouri until Friday!