- In what way were you a concerned citizen this past week? You know, I don’t know that I’d call myself an activist because I’m not particularly active, but I have been concerned about the circumstances surrounding the death of Sandra Bland–as well as all deaths of people in police custody recently. I’m also concerned about what led a man to shoot up a movie theater, and I’m concerned about the people in his life who saw him becoming increasingly agitated and violent and either did nothing or were powerless. I’m concerned about a system in which he was able to get weapons, despite a violent history. And I’m concerned that every time we ignore shitty, radical people spouting off their shitty, radical beliefs that we’re silently letting them get away with it.
- In what way were you a clear communicator this past week? I like to think I always am. That said, I don’t do much communicating throughout the week–my job is pretty much solitary at a computer. But I’m a pretty clear communicator with Paul. That’s a good thing to have in a relationship.
- In what way were you an insightful learner this past week? I took an assessment test as part of a job opportunity, and it involved Microsoft Office, which I’m vaguely but not intimately familiar with. I did some Googling and playing around and even had my mom show me some things she knows in Excel, but the assessment ended up being more complicated than I expected (and than they led me to believe). But I was able to relatively quickly and easily figure out how to do what I needed to do. Wish I could say the same for the woman who came in at the same time and left after a few minutes.
- In what way were you an effective advocate this past week? I don’t know! I can’t think of anything. Except maybe when a cousin of my dad’s commented on a Facebook post about Caitlyn Jenner calling her “shim” and saying she didn’t deserve any award, to which I politely replied and said that was a very rude thing to say about another person and that attitude proves that it does indeed take courage to come out as transgender, even now.
- In what way were you a responsible risk-taker this past week? It was kind of a risk to tell my dad’s cousin she was rude, but hey. I feel like there’s also an element of risk in job-hunting. And submitting writing for publication.