- When opposing forces in your life pull you in different directions, how do you recenter yourself and find balance? I think by just being true to myself and paying attention to my personal wants and needs. I always take time to decompress–I don’t tackle any important tasks after work until I’ve taken time to, say, dick around on the Internet, unless I have a writing deadline to meet or something.
- What are often the greatest threats to your overall balance? People who are toxic, or people who have a way of shaking me back into bad habits and unhealthy thinking. Such things have a way of being disruptive and not quite undoing progress I’ve made on myself, but they set me back a little and get me thinking in ways that maybe I generally don’t anymore.
- If you could add just a little more of one thing to your life and have a little less of another, what would they be? I want more of the same thing almost all of us want more of–time and money. Honestly, I don’t know what I could do with less of. There’s not a lot of negativity around me lately, so there’s not much to purge. Maybe less frustration in my renewed hunt for a new job.
- What are pluses and minuses of hanging out with mercurial people, and what are pluses and minuses of hanging out with even-keeled people? Which tend to populate your social groups most? I’d say mercurial people can bring a little excitement, albeit not necessarily always in a good way. Things can get chaotic and toxic with them. Even-keeled people–and I consider myself one–on the other could be considered boring, but the advantage is things are more peaceful. Despite some past issues with my social groups, I think everyone tended to be more even-keeled.
- What’s your greatest challenge in maintaining a balanced diet? For me, balancing it at all. I’m a vegetarian whose favorite food is pasta. When I first started living on my own, I probably ate some form of pasta almost every day of the week, and with the exception of when I go out, it’s down to about once a week, which is huge for me. There’s also that fun balance of trying to integrate fresh ingredients and using them before they go bad.