1) Friday was April Fool’s Day. Did you pull any pranks? Did anyone put anything over on you? No to both. I couldn’t think of anything good that wasn’t too mean–everything I considered was, like, telling Paul that the stone fell out of my engagement ring and stuff, and he’d just get pissed. Not worth it.
2) The practice of playing tricks on one another on April 1 dates back at least to the 14th century and Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales includes a mention of it. Geoffrey Chaucer has been called England’s greatest poet. Quote a bit of poetry for us. (It doesn’t have to be English, or great.) Here’s some William Carlos Williams: “I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox.”
3) Beatle Paul is a huge Elvis fan and is happy to own the bass that was played on Elvis’ 1954 recording of “That’s All Right, Mama.” Tell us about one of your prized possessions. I’d say my engagement ring is one of them, for obvious reasons!
4) In contrast to his easygoing persona, Sir Paul has been described by former band mate Ringo Starr as strong willed and “determined to get his own way.” Do you consider yourself strong willed and determined? Or are you more easy going? I think I’m a healthy dose of both, depending on the situation. I wouldn’t say that I’m determined to have my way, but I am determined to accomplish things and reach my goals. But I’m pretty easygoing otherwise.
5) The Beatles once bought a Greek island, planning to live and record there, but sold it after a few months because it started to seem like a bad, expensive idea. Tell us about a purchase that gave you buyer’s remorse. I honestly haven’t really had it. I feel bad after I spend too much money, but I’ve never regretted what I bought.
6) Legend has it that the Beatles officially broke up in Disney World. John Lennon was staying at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort when he received and signed the court papers that dissolved the group. Have you ever conducted business while on vacation? I’m notorious for taking my laptop on vacation so I can get writing done. The amount of work I get done is minimal, but I like having the option to do it.
7) George Harrison loved puttering around in the garden and dedicated his autobiography to “gardeners everywhere.” Do you have a green thumb? I haven’t had much opportunity to see. I’ve only ever had small houseplants and some raspberry bushes at my parents’ house, but one of the things I want when I own a house one day is a garden. Some psychics told me I’ll inherit my grandfather’s green thumb if I ask.
8) Ringo regrets not having saved more Beatles memorabilia, which he realizes now would be worth a fortune. Are you a pack rat? I’d say, like, a mild pack rat. I keep a lot of stuff, but I have been getting better at gradually going through it and getting rid of it. My mom once infamously accused me of being a hoarder because my car was messy, which is still infuriating.
9) Random question: Which do you prefer, Girl Scout cookies or Boy Scout popcorn? Girl Scout cookies, duh! Poor Boy Scouts get the most boring snack and are outdone by those delicious cookies.