Saturday 9: That’s What Friends Are For (1985)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s song is performed by an all-star quartet: Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder. You have your choice: which of these four would you most like to see in concert? I feel like I should pick anyone but Elton John, because I’ve actually seen him in concert twice. But honestly, I’m not as into the others’ music–the one I’d say I like the most is Stevie Wonder, but even then, I’m more of a casual fan than anything. So…Elton John. He does put on a great show!
2) Dionne Warwick was Whitney Houston’s cousin. Name a Whitney Houston song. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me).” Sure, I could’ve gone with the obvious choice of “I Will Always Love You,” which is a great song, but I love this song. In fact, Terra, my best friend, with whom I lived in college for two years, is not a fan and openly made fun of me for playing this in the dorm.
3) Gladys Knight owns a chain of chicken and waffle restaurants around Atlanta. When you have waffles, what do you top them with? (Powdered sugar? Butter? Syrup? Fruit?) Fruit, almost always strawberries. And some whipped cream.
4) Elton John has turned his bad eyesight into a hobby, claiming that over the years he has purchased well over than 200,000 pairs of glasses. Do you wear glasses? If so, how many prescription pairs do you own? I do! I normally wear contacts because I like a glasses-free face and I find them to be easier most of the time, like when it comes to buying cute sunglasses. Glasses are normally reserved for when I’m home. But I do enjoy the pairs I own, which at the moment I think is about three or four. I buy a new pair about every year after my annual eye exam, and I’d like to keep a spare pair in my purse and/or car in case of emergencies, like a tear in a contact. I’d actually like to donate my surplus pairs–especially the older ones that are too weak for me now.
5) Stevie Wonder has a scar on his nose from a 1973 car crash. Have you ever been in a car accident? No, but I have been in a fender bender where someone backed into me in a parking lot, and I’ve been present for a handful of collisions with deer when someone else was driving.
6) Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager were married when they wrote this. Do you know a husband and wife who work together? My college was full of them–there were at least three or four married couples working on that campus, and some of them were in the same field.
7) This song celebrates friendship through good times and bad. Tell us about a happy time you recently shared with someone close to you. I can’t think of anything major! Just, like, hanging out with people while Meri and Erio were in town.
8) Now share a time when you were there for a friend through a tough time. Terra’s dad died within about the past month. Paul and I went to the funeral home one evening, and of course I’ve talked to her throughout the whole thing.
9) Random question: When is the last time you were out of breath? This morning, walking to church. We walk because it’s right up from our apartment complex, but it’s uphill and I’m out of shape.