Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song/video, Ms. Sinatra’s boots make a serious fashion statement. Do you choose footwear for comfort or fashion? A healthy mix of both. I really love a gorgeous shoe, but I wear things like heels pretty infrequently–mostly for special occasions. This used to include going to the theater in the city, but these days I’ve been taking the subway and walking, so I stick to more practical shoes. On a day-to-day basis, I go for comfort or practicality.
2) This is by far the biggest hit of Nancy Sinatra’s career, which includes 6 top ten hits. Can you name another? Nope.
3) Nancy recorded it on Reprise Records, which was founded by her father, Frank. Did your parents give you a leg up in your chosen career? Well, they payed for me to go to school, so I’d call that a leg up in that I got an education and I got it debt-free. My dad called the first newspaper I did some work for to ask about openings because he knew a writer there, and I was actually pretty pissed about it–he did it behind my back and because he decided I needed a summer job. It was the exact kind of thing he complained about his own dad doing.
4) Professionally, Nancy has been involved in espionage, singing the theme to a James Bond movie and appearing in an episode of The Man from UNCLE. Do you enjoy spy/secret agent stories? I do, although I don’t really watch or read them often. I think I’d get bored of them if I did.
5) Nancy maintains the official Sinatra family website, which includes a link to the site of Mia Farrow. Ms. Farrow was, briefly, Nancy’s stepmother, and obviously they are still on good terms. Do you have a big, extended family? Mostly just lots of cousins, but I’ll soon be marrying into a big family.
6) Nancy’s music — and posters — were very popular with the troops during the Vietnam War. Nancy continues to return their loyalty and affection with her efforts on behalf of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund. Here’s your chance to promote a cause that’s near and dear to your heart. What charity gets your support? I donate to a few of them here and there, but I’ll go with one I wrote about recently–J.K. Rowling’s Lumos, which is dedicated to keeping children out of orphanages.
7) Nancy hosts a Sirius radio show devoted to her father’s music. Do you have a subscription to a satellite radio or podcast network? No. My fiancé used to have a Sirius subscription, which I miss a lot, but it wasn’t worth spending the money. Especially now that his work commute is like five minutes.
8) Nancy has said that she and her sister Tina had a more comfortable relationship with their famous father than their late brother, Frank, Jr., did. Do you think it’s easier for mothers to get along with their sons, while fathers have an easier time with their daughters? My experience is actually the opposite–I think I have a better relationship with my mom and my brother has a better relationship with my dad, but at the same time, those are also the parents we’re the most similar to personality-wise. The one issue, though, is that my mom and I have similar tempers, so when we’d clash when I was a teenager, it got nasty.
9) Random question: Tonight’s dinner is on us. Would you prefer to eat at a casual restaurant with exceptional food, or an exclusive restaurant with so-so food but a celebrity clientele? Exceptional food. Always.