1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
I’m not a veteran, but my dad, uncle, and grandfather all are. My dad was injured in Iraq, and my uncle was a medic. And I know plenty of active military–my future brother-in-law is a Marine, a friend of ours is in the Air Force, my best friend’s husband is in the Navy, and my brother is in the Army.
2) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What’s your favorite picnic food? Salads of any sort, particularly pasta salad and potato salad. Although in my family, potato salad is for any occasion.
3) Let’s celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What’s your favorite flavor? Cone or cup? I love just about any fruit flavor and prefer cones. At the moment, I’m excited to try to the orange-pineapple ice cream we bought last night.
4) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you rode a bike? It’s probably been a few years. No bike and nowhere to ride it, although I keep saying I want to get into biking.
5) Or went hiking? Since we haven’t really had the time or weather for a proper hike, my guess is probably back in the fall.
6) Or rode a horse? That’s been years, too.
7) Or toasted a marshmallow?
Up at camp last summer.
8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? Yes! The ceiling fan is running. It’s only recently gotten warm enough to need it.
9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer? You’ll begin seeing your suggestions as Saturday 9 themes in mid-June. Thanks! Just because I’m listening to them right now on Spotify as I do this, let’s go with Red Hot Chili Peppers.