Well, we’re back home after a long weekend out of town.

Personally, my weekend started Wednesday night. We had tickets to go see Frankie Valli in Pittsburgh, so I headed for the city right after work. I was out on time and considered driving in since I knew I’d have plenty of time, but I decided against it when I realized that instead of taking the chance on traffic and possibly spending the next two hours sitting in my car, I could guarantee a shorter, easier commute with the trusty T. It was a good choice. It got me in the city within about a half an hour from when I got on, and I killed the time before dinner by checking out the arts festival. I would’ve actually liked to devote some more time on, say, a weekend to that, but I was busy both weekends of the festival. So a quick walk through it on a weeknight it had to be.

It was a successful trip. I ended up buying a really pretty necklace and earring set, then got stopped by a man distributing literature on yoga and such. I’d killed enough time at this point that my dad suggested I walk to the restaurant, but it ended up still being a good 10-15 minutes before they showed up. I was actually early for once in my life, and if I’m late for everything for the rest of the year, at least I have that.

We had dinner at Six Penn Kitchen, which was really good–I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli, with the chocolate cake for dessert.

The concert was great, too, albeit very similar to Valli’s concert we saw last year. I’ve written about it here. He got a little political and I was afraid it was going to take a pro-Trump turn, but he actually stayed neutral and made some good points. That said, the crowd cheered a little too loud at a Trump mention for my taste, but I guess that’s to be expected from a bunch of old white people.

My mom was afraid for me to ride the T back home by myself that late, so she decided to drive me out to where I’d parked my car instead. I think it was a little excessive, but it made her feel better, so I wasn’t going to fight it. I can’t blame her, either–stories about the Stanford rapist just broke. It wasn’t a time for feeling confident about letting your daughter ride the subway alone at night, regardless of her age.

So I came home, went to bed, and enjoyed having Thursday off, which I mostly spent doing a little laundry and a lot of things like lounging, reading, and playing video games.

When Paul came home that evening, we packed up and drove out to State College. We stayed right downtown at a place called Hotel State College, and after we checked in, we scouted out a place to watch the Pens play what could’ve been the Stanley Cup-winning game but ultimately wasn’t. We tried Primanti’s, the best possible place to watch a Pittsburgh sporting event outside of Pittsburgh, but the place was packed. So we turned around and for lack of better ideas, we went down into our favorite dive, Zeno’s, conveniently located in the very bottom of our hotel. That may or may not have been a factor in choosing the place. We also happened to be there in time for happy hour, so although the Pens lost, we enjoyed drinks and a pound of fries on the cheap.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s