Saturday 9: Papa, Don’t Preach (1986)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) Madonna has sold more than 200 million records worldwide. Do you have any of her songs on your iPod/mp3 player/phone? I do, but I’m not sure which ones–I haven’t finished migrating things over to my new computer.
2) When she first arrived in New York in search of fame and fortune, Madonna supported herself by working at Dunkin’ Donuts. What did you order last time you were at Dunkin’ Donuts? Probably a strawberry glazed donut and some sort of iced coffee.
3) Madonna and her first husband, Sean Penn, ended their marriage on New Year’s Eve, 1988. Sam’s New Year’s Eves are never that dramatic. What about you? Do you have any vivid New Year’s Eve memories you’d like to share? Not particularly. Except I think it was New Year’s when my friends had started what we called “physical challenges,” which usually involved lots of alcohol, and one such challenge was for two of them to drink a whole bottle of wine in a short span of time.
4) Madonna admits she suffers from brontophobia, aka the fear of storms. Are you scared of thunder and lightening? Not at all.
5) Onstage during the 2015 Coachella fest, Madonna shocked the audience by planting a kiss square on the lips of much-younger rapper Drake. What’s something that surprised you recently? Not much of anything, really.
6) More recently, Madonna was at the center of a controversy because Prince fans didn’t like her tribute at the Billboard Music Awards. They made themselves heard on social media. Was your last Facebook post or Tweet positive or negative? Negative on both fronts, kind of–Facebook was an article about a journalist live tweeting a Trump rally, most of which had to do with horrible things his supporters said and did, and my last Tweet was complaining about people who complain about political correctness.
7) One of the things Sam’s papa preaches about is car maintenance. He reminds her to check her car’s air filter regularly, because a dirty filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip with us. Ha, I don’t really have any. Except learning to change your oil yourself seems like a useful skill I would like to have one day.
8) When she was growing up, Sam’s father was often away on business. He always remembered to bring back the complimentary shampoos, conditioners and lotions from the hotels where he stayed. When will you next stay in a hotel (or motel, bed-and-breakfast or Airbnb room)? I think in August. A few years ago, my beagle had cataracts removed, and my parents opted to get the surgery done at a vet school in Ohio because it was a lot cheaper than having it done in Pittsburgh–because it’s a school, they could do the surgery for about half the cost it would be here. He has to go for annual checkups there, and I tag alone because traveling with dogs is fun. Or at least it’s fun with that particular dog.
9) To celebrate Father’s Day, Sam is giving away her father’s favorite candy: LifeSavers. Would you prefer a roll of Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint? Cherry! Cherry everything always.