Saturday 9: Surf City (1963)
1) When the song was written, “Surf City” was a fictitious town.* Tell us a song that is set in a real place. I can’t think of one at the moment!
2) In the song, Jan and Dean sing about riding around in a 1934 station wagon, which means the car was 29 years old when the song was recorded. How old is your vehicle? I think it’s a 2005, so if I’m remembering right, it’s 11.
3) Are you good on a surf board? I’ve never tried it! I think I’d be okay at it.
4) When you spend time out in the sun, are you careful about applying sunscreen? If I’m gonna be out for an extended period of time, yes.
5) Dean’s original partner was Arnie Ginsburg. When Dean was drafted into the Army, Arnie didn’t feel like waiting so he abandoned show business and went back to college. Today he holds several patents. What is something you wish someone would invent? I can’t think of anything for this one, either.
6) Jan was a perpetual student who juggled college with recording. He not only graduated from UCLA, he completed two years of medical school at the UC Irvine School of Medicine. Have you ever considered going back to school? I’ve thought about law school from time to time, but honestly, I don’t thin I have the motivation right now to put the work in and I don’t know if I have it in me to work in the field.
7) In 1966, Jan was sidelined by a serious car accident. During the years that he was unable to perform, partner Dean became a graphic artist. He designed logos and album covers for Steve Martin, Diana Ross and others. Do you feel you respond most to words, pictures, or music? I’d music comes first, followed very, very closely by words. It can happen with pictures, but it’s not as common and not as intense.
8) In 1978, CBS made a TV movie about Jan and Dean. If they approached you about a made-for-TV movie of your life, who would you like to play you? Man, I feel like every 20-something woman these days probably says this, but Jennifer Lawrence.
9) Random question: Growing up, how did you learn about the birds and the bees? (From books/the web, from parents, from your friends…) I had friends and cousins that were a couple years older than me, so once one of them found out, it was all over. It made its way to the rest of us, and I was pretty young.