- What’s your favorite song from 1999? God, there are some real gems on that list–all the TLC and Sugar Ray songs, Mariah Carey’s “Heartbreaker,” “Mambo No. 5″…and that’s not even getting into music that came out and didn’t chart. I’m limiting myself to the list, though, to avoid a black hole of looking up random songs, and I’m gonna declare my favorite to be “Steal My Sunshine” by Len.
- What are some of your favorite films from 1999? More gems! 10 Things I Hate About You, American Beauty, Annie, Dogma, the first Harry Potter, The Iron Giant, The Mummy, The Sixth Sense, and South Park. The only one of those I actually remember seeing in theaters that year was The Mummy.
- What’s something interesting that happened on your birthday in 1999? Apple released the first iBook, a line of laptops.
- How did you ring in the new year as 1999 became 2000? I went to my friend Sarah’s house–a different Sarah than the Sarah I’m friends with now–and us girls had a sleepover. At midnight, we called her brother and tried to convince him that the power had gone out and Y2K was happening. Sleepovers there run together, so I can’t remember if we watched The Cell or Jaws that night, or if that was the time I was sick by the next morning.
- What’s something that’s gotten better since 1999? Technology is the most obvious answer, but I think just looking at how my life has changed is interesting–I turned 10 in 1999, and I’m 27 now. I’m an adult now with a job and my own place and I’m planning a wedding, and while some people would consider growing up and becoming and adult with responsibilities a downgrade, I’m calling it a win.
As always, from Friday 5.