Saturday 9: Ballad of Gilligan’s Island (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This is about the fateful cruise of the S.S. Minnow. If you had a boat, what would christen it? Something good. Maybe a nice pun.
2) “No phone! No lights! No motorcar! Not a single luxury!” To Sam, those sound more like everyday essentials than luxuries. If you were shipwrecked with the gang, what standard amenity would you miss the most? I mean, presumably this place would be warm enough to be comfortable, but if not, any sort of heating.
3) The uncharted isle was in the Pacific, near Hawaii. Have you ever been to our 50th state? I have not! But it’s one of the many places I’d love to visit.
4) Natalie Schafer, who played Mrs. Howell, refused to divulge her age. Are you honest about how old you are? Or do you fudge it? I’m honest about it. I look younger than I really am, anyway.
5) Gilligan’s Island featured many dream sequences. (Like the one where Gilligan dozes off and dreams that he’s Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.) Have you had any vivid dreams lately? No. Everything’s been really hazy lately.
6) The pilot was filmed in November, 1963, in Honolulu. The cast and crew were actually onset when they learned of President Kennedy’s assassination.* Because on location filming was so expensive, they couldn’t afford to take any time off. Tell us about a time when you had to work, even though your heart and head weren’t in it. There have been a few times, including a good handful of days where I was just tired and needed a break or days when I felt like I was coming down with something. But I think the one big one was probably in the immediate aftermath of the issues I had with some friends a few years back. I was distracted and felt like shit and just really did not want to be there. I could’ve used some sick time, but in retrospect, going to work was probably the best thing for me. And by the way, as far as that group goes, things are better.
7) During the show’s run, Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was the clear fan favorite, receiving twice as many love letters as Ginger (Tina Louise). Have you ever written a fan letter (or posted a fan tweet or Facebook post)? I mean, we once wrote Daniel Radcliffe a joke fan letter, but other than that, not really. I toss out the occasional tweet or Facebook post when I’m really into something, but not the sort of “I love you so much, a reply would make me so happy!!!” type posts.
8) Sam chose this week’s song because it was going through her head, over and over again! Tell us a song that burrows into your head and stays there. Seems like it depends. Lately, it’s been that song that played on Daryl’s Walking Dead episode.
9) Random question: You went to a discount store and got an amazing bargain — a pair of dress shoes for just $4.99. You go to a formal event and someone compliments you on those great shoes and asks where you got them. Do you tell the truth? I do, because I generally take pride in those things and so do the people I usually interact with. I don’t really care about keeping up an illusion of having spent a lot of money or something.