Saturday 9: Tammy (1957)
In celebration of Debbie Reynolds
Unfamiliar with this week’s song? Hear it here.
1. In this song,Tammy sings of being able to hear “the breeze from the bayou.” What sounds can you hear as you answer these questions? Spotify ads and the constant ringing in my right ear thanks to congestion.
2. This week’s song was the theme of a popular movie about a girl who grew up on a houseboat in Mississippi. Looking back on 2016, did you spend much time on or around water? No! Which is a shame, because I love being around water–rivers, oceans, whatever.
3. In addition to being an Oscar-nominated actress, this week’s artist, Debbie Reynolds, was a big movie fan. She amassed an amazing cache of movie memorabilia. Do you collect anything? Books and Wizard of Oz collectibles.
4. Though she never won a competitive Oscar for acting, Debbie Reynolds was awarded the Academy’s Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award earlier this year for 60 years of charity work. While she supported many causes throughout her life, one she was closest to was The Girl Scouts. She was not only a Scout herself, she was a leader when daughter Carrie was young and a fundraiser throughout her life. Were you ever in Boy or Girl Scouts? I wasn’t, but I had an interest in it and I’m a big fan of Girl Scout cookies, like any true American.
6. The New Year’s Eve fireworks celebrations in both Disney World in Florida and Sydney, Australia coordinate pyrotechnics and music. Are you expecting either fireworks or live music on your New Year’s Eve celebration? New Year’s has come and gone because I’m still catching up, but I didn’t expect any and I was correct.
7. According to the National Insurance Bureau, more cars are stolen on New Year’s Eve than any other single day. Are you confident your vehicle(s) will be safe and sound this Saturday night? I’m confident my car won’t be stolen on any given Saturday night, but I’m not confident it won’t be damaged. It’s been hit in the parking lot of my apartment twice in the, what, four years I’ve lived here?
8. Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions for 2017? I do make some resolutions every year, but I tend to address them in writing. Since I’ve been sick the past week, I haven’t had time to get around to that, so they’re not really organized and outlined proper.
9. Looking back on 2016, what surprised you? Probably just progress made and fences somewhat mended. It wasn’t the most surprising of years on the whole, really.