Saturday 9: A New Day Has Come (2002)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here
Welcome to the first Saturday 9 of 2017!
1) This song is about a new day. Here we are celebrating a new year. What do you hope for in 2017?
A happy, calm year for me and everyone I care about.
2) Ms. Dion has said this song was influenced by the events of 9/11, and how a new day dawnedafter tragedy. Looking back on 2016, did something happen that you’re glad to leave behind and move away from? Not really. Personally, I had a pretty good year, despite it being shit for so many other people.
3) In the video, Celine serenades us from billowy white clouds. Describe the sky where you are as you answer these 9 questions.
I was just outside, and I didn’t really notice because it’s really, really cold out there. I was more focused on how cold I was and getting inside than what the clouds look like.
4) This video was shot in West Palm Beach, FL. When settlers arrived in the late 1870s, the town was called Lake Worth County. OK, your turn. Tell us something about your hometown. Where I live now, Washington, was the site of the Whiskey Rebellion, where the people lost their shit because of whiskey being taxed. We commemorate it every year with a week-long street festival, which, of course, includes whiskey tastings.
5) Celine Dion’s native tongue is French. Dites-nous quelque chose enFrançais. I don’t remember much of the French I learned in high school.
6) Celine’s mother, Therese, is known in her Quebec neighborhood as a terrific cook. Think about your own domestic talents. Where do you excel? (Food prep, house cleaning, laundry, scheduling, etc.) I think it’s tough to excel at laundry because it’s not a difficult thing to do to begin with, but I will say I kind of enjoy doing it. Other than that, I don’t know if there’s something I excel in. I’m kind of adequate in everything else. Except maybe scheduling. I may be late a lot, but I like having a set plan rather than just kind of winging it. It kills me when other people are in charge of planning and I have no idea when things are happening.
7) Growing up, Celine and her siblings often performed in her family’s piano bar. Where did you most recently enjoy an adult beverage? I went to dinner at Primanti’s the other night and had my favorite drink, the Drunk Duck. Despite wanting to eat healthier, I can’t resist that deliciousness.
8) In 2002, when this song was popular, Kmart was in the newsbecause the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. What department store do you shop at most often? I don’t know! I’m not much of a department-store person these days.
9) Random question: It’s time for a midnight snack and you have your choice of one of these three — a slice of sausage pizza, a bagel with lox and cream cheese, or a piece of carrot cake. Which will you have? And what shall we bring you to drink? Carrot cake, with milk to drink. I always need milk with something sweet like that.