Saturday 9: Brokenhearted (2012)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about a girl who is eager and anxious for her new lover to call. Do you owe anyone a call? An email? A text? I wouldn’t say I owe anyone, but I would say it wouldn’t kill me to reach out to some friends and family.
2) The lyrics are peppered with the informal English exclamation, “cheerio!” What pops into your head when you close your eyes and think of England? Big Ben.
3) This week’s artist, Karmin, is a husband/wife duo who met at college, and that meeting changed the course of their lives and careers. Think of someone who has had a huge impact on your life. Did you know, as soon as you met, that this was going to be a life-changing relationship? I’m gonna go with my fiancé because obviously. And no, I didn’t. I kind of thought he’d just disappear and nothing would come of his borderline flirting, as usually happened to me.
4) Though she sings about consuming tequila, the female side of Karmin, Amy, is a big proponent of healthy eating. She recommends organic foods that are free of pesticides, hormones, food coloring and added sugar. Think about your most recent meal. Was it a good example of “healthy eating?” It actually was! I’m trying to eat healthier, but sometimes I cave and eat shit. But I just ate a dinner of a kale salad with fake vegetarian chicken.
5) Husband Nick has his own Twitter account (@NickKarmin), but he doesn’t use it often. His last tweet was back in August. What’s the last thing you posted to social media? (No, your blog doesn’t count.) A tweet to a band who was having a contest where the first so many people to tweet a link to their single got a free copy of their album. I won!
6) Karmin performed “Brokenhearted” live on Dancing with the Stars. DWTSis very big business for ABC-TV. So many people vote for their favorite couples each week that their phone and text systems often overload. Have you ever voted for a contestant on American Idol, DWTS, The Voice, etc.? I have. I have strong opinions on who I think should win and hate it when it becomes a popularity contest instead of going off of the actual talent.
7) In 2012, the year”Brokenhearted” was popular, the average cost for a gallon of gas was $3.91. In 2016, it had dropped to $2.40. When it’s time to fill up your tank, do you shop around for the lowest price/gal.? Are you brand loyal and always return to the same station, regardless of price? Or do you just buy gas from the nearest station when you’re running low? If I’m in a position to shop around, I do, but since I get so much of gas with groceries, I try to go to that gas station. Failing that, I go anywhere I have any kind of loyalty card. If I’m really low, though, closest one it is.
8) In 2012, the Space Shuttle Endeavor was retired and placed on permanent display at the California Science Center, a Los Angeles museum dedicated to encouraging excitement and enthusiasm about air and space travel. Let’s say you had a long weekend to spend in Los Angeles. Would you go out of your way to see The Endeavor? What else would you like to do during your time in the City of Angels? I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it, but I’d still like to visit that museum. I don’t know what else I’d want to do, really, other than visit obvious must-sees.
9) While we’re thinking about aviation … Statistics show that it’s still a predominantly male field, and less than 10% of commercial pilots are women. Would you be nervous flying with a woman pilot? No, and anyone who would is sexist.