Saturday 9: I’ll Be There (1992)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Mariah pledges to “have faith in all you do.” Have you recently given someone support or a pep talk? A little bit. It’s close to the first anniversary of the death of my best friend’s dad, so I’ve been offering a little support.
2) Mariah was at the center of a controversy in Times Square on New Year’s Eve when she had audio problems and claimed she could not perform. Times Square is at the busy intersection of Broadway and 7th Avenue. If we went to the busy intersection nearest your home, what would we find? (A store? A church? McDonald’s?) A shopping plaza with a Shop ‘N’ Save on one side, my apartment complex across from that, then on the other side of the street, a Walgreen’s across from a bank.
3) Her nickname in high school was Mirage because she cut school so often. Did you ever play hookey? On occasion. My best friend and I used to call them “mental-health days,” days where we just didn’t feel like getting up and going. If our grades were good and we weren’t missing a test, our parents would let us stay home. It was a really nice, good way to have some time alone and recharge. You can do that more easily as an adult, but not in your teens, so it was time I really valued when I got it.
4) Mariah doesn’t apologize for spoiling her dogs, who have been known to travel by limo. Do you know anyone who treats his/her pets like people? Not to that extreme, but I think every single person I know with a pet, except my fiancé’s family, spoils their pets.
5) Mariah has something to fall back on. She studied cosmetology and worked as a hair sweeper in a salon. When you get your hair cut, do you socialize with the stylist? A little, but they need to initiate it.
6) When married to her first husband, Mariah went vegetarian. Tell us about last night’s dinner. Would it qualify as a vegetarian meal? Being that I myself am a vegetarian, yes.
7) This week’s song was introduced by The Jackson 5. Think of your favorite Michael Jackson song. Did he record it solo or with his brothers? I can’t think of one favorite, which is a problem I have with everything. I’m gonna say, though, that I’d probably learn toward Jackson 5 songs.
8) In 1992, when this song was popular, The Mall of America opened. Located in Minnesota, it’s the biggest mall in the nation, with more than 400 stores. Think about the last thing you purchased. Were you shopping out of necessity, or for fun? For fun.
9) Have you ever shoplifted? (Don’t worry. We won’t tell.) Nope.