Saturday 9: Magic (1980)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This 1980 video depicts Olivia Newton-John as a performer in small club. For the past few years, she’s been performing regularly at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? I haven’t, but I really want to go! My whole family does, with the exception of maybe my fiancé and sister-in-law, and every so often, I try to plant the seed of taking a family vacation to Vegas.
2) Many tourists who want to get away from the glitz of Vegas travel less than 20 miles to visit Red Rock Canyon. This national park is known for its hiking trails, which provide a view of the desert flora and red rock peaks. Tell us about a time you were impressed by natural beauty. I think the last time I was impressed by it might’ve been in Mexico, followed by a stop at a big gorge in West Virginia. That said, even when I’m not impressed by it, I always enjoy it, even when its just, say, woods and waterfalls at Ohiopyle, a state park near where I grew up I’ve visited countless times.
3) One of the best-reviewed restaurants in Las Vegas is Andiamo Italian Steak House. When you order a steak, how do you request it be cooked: rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done? I don’t eat steak now because I’m a vegetarian, and I never tried it before that because I didn’t want to and didn’t think I’d like it.
4) Olivia Newton-John’s father was an officer in MI5, the UK’s secret service. Sam’s most recent encounter with the law didn’t have much drama or intrigue: she asked a cop for directions to the highway. Tell us about the last time you spoke to an officer of the law. Probably when I got a speeding ticket Halloween weekend a couple years ago.
5) ONJ was awarded the OBE — Order of the British Empire — by Queen Elizabeth in honor of her contributions to the arts. Here’s your opportunity to boast. What is something you’ve done lately that you received praise for? I’ve been picking up articles for AXS–I started with New Year’s articles, then was asked to do Valentine’s Day, then St. Patrick’s Day. When I was asked to do the Valentine’s Day ones, the e-mail included some praise of the good job I did on the New Year’s articles, even though they totally weren’t done on time.
6) A breast cancer survivor, Olivia helped found a cancer center in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia. When you think of Australia, what comes to mind? Kangaroos, movies set there like Australia and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Amanda Palmer, and this Monty Python sketch. For the record, Priscilla is a better movie than Australia.
7) “Magic” was one of the top-selling records of 1980. Also that year, Post-It notes debuted. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies, or do you consider it a chore? I kind of enjoy it, but probably only because I very rarely need to do it.
8) In 1980, the NASA space probe returned the first photos of Saturn back to earth. Do you believe intelligent life forms from other planets are trying to learn more about us? Probably.
9) Random question: Are you more confident in your looks or your intelligence? In general, intelligence, but it can depend on the day.
As always, from Saturday 9.