Saturday 9: Fist City (1968)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here
1) This song is about a wife warning another woman off her man. Who received the last warning, of any type, that you issued?
I don’t know that I’d call it a warning
, necessarily, but my fiancé kept teasing me about eating a few of his cookies and it went a little too far.
2) Loretta sings that when her husband picks up trash, he puts it in a garbage can. She’s being metaphorical, but we will be literal: If you spot litter on the sidewalk, do you pick it up or just walk on? I usually keep walking, unfortunately.
3) She taught herself to play guitar. If you could learn something new in 2017, what would it be? Sewing, although that would be more of a refresher than entirely new.
4) She broke her shoulder in a fall and surgery was required to repair it. When were you last in a hospital? Were you a patient or a visitor? A visitor, although I can’t remember who it was for because it’s been a while, fortunately.
5) In the 1970s, Loretta Lynn was the first country singer to appear on the cover of Newsweek. Who is your favorite country singer? I’m not sure. I generally only dabble in country, although I do think the only country album I own is Darius Rucker.
6) Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In premiered in 1968, when this song was popular. What’s the last TV show you watched? Did you watch it live, did you stream it, or catch it on DVR/Tivo? My fiancé and I have My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix as I type this, and we’ve had it on for a couple episodes now.
7) In 1968, Jacqueline Kennedy shocked the world by marrying Greek billionaire Aristotle Onassis.What’s the last thing you heard that surprised you? I’m not sure. It kind of takes a lot.
8) 1968’s top-rated car was the Chevy Corvette. Could your car benefit from a trip to the car wash this morning? Definitely. I’ve been meaning to take it for weeks, but between snow and rain, it’s been pretty pointless.
9) Random question: You’re staying in a hotel and find you can faintly hear the couple in the next room. Would you ignore their voices, or try to hear them better? Depends. If it’s a fight, definitely listen, because I’m a creep.