Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
2) In this song, Debbie Harry sings that she’s not the kind of girl who gives up easily. How about you? Do you hang on stubbornly? Or do you know when to say “when?” I’m pretty stubborn, but I do have a breaking point and I do know when hanging on isn’t worth it.
3) Blondie is a group that took it’s name from the lead singer’s most identifiable characteristic, her hair. If your band was named after your hair, what would it be called? Curly.
4) Before her career as a singer took off, Debbie supported herself as a waitress. She even served drinks while wearing bunny ears and tail at The Playboy Club. Have you ever worked in food service? Just washing dishes as a kid in the restaurant where my dad worked.
5) Debbie points to David Bowie as a major influence on her music and career. What’s your favorite Bowie song? Oh God, I can’t pick just one, but I will tell you that there’s one that’s a strong possibility for the first dance at my wedding. I don’t want to ruin it, though.
6) In 1980, when this song was popular, the best selling issue of Rolling Stone featured Robert Redford on the cover. Who is your all-time favorite actor? I don’t know if I have one! Like all things, I have a few favorites and can’t single out just one.
8) John Lennon was murdered in 1980. Today there’s a specially landscaped section of Central Park called Strawberry Fields in his honor. If you had a day to spend in New York, what would you want to see? Definitely that, probably a Broadway show depending on what’s playing, and whatever touristy things I haven’t done the other times I’ve gone, because funnily enough, while I have done a little sightseeing, I’ve never done the big things. I went with my mom and her best friend one spring to visit another friend of ours, and she was sort of our guide, which meant we got more of a New Yorker’s experience. It had its advantages for sure, though.
9) We’re going shopping! Which do you need to add to your wardrobe: underwear, shoes or a swimsuit? None, but if anything, swimsuit. Almost all of mine are old enough that I was probably smaller then.