Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. Though our song choice is humorous, we honor their sacrifice in our hearts.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? You know, I never thought there was, but we actually passed by a small one today on our way to a walking trail. It’s not for anything in particular, it’s more of a general memorial for veterans.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial Day (then called Decoration Day) was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? I shook Bill Clinton’s hand. I wouldn’t say I met him because it was a very rushed sort of thing at the end of a speech he gave like a mile down the road from where my cousins lived.
3) According to the AAA, 36 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? I will be, but I normally don’t. We’re not going too far, but my fiancé’s one sister moved to Erie with her boyfriend last year and his other sister has joined them for the summer. They’re having a cookout, so we’re spending Sunday and part of Monday up there.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What’s your favorite picnic food? Pasta salad. Which I of course consider appropriate for all occasions.
5) Have you packed away your winter clothes? Or is the weather still so changeable that you still may need something warm? It’s getting a little chilly at night and I’m sensitive to temperature changes, so it’s too risky to pack away long sleeves. But I’m also not the kind of person who packs stuff away for different seasons, and maybe that’s why. I could definitely use the closet space, though.
6) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? I believe the air is turned to on, but it’s not hot enough outside for it to actually run. It’s in the 60s, and I keep it set in the mid-70s.
7) This week, we are featuring the Muppets. Jim Henson made the first Muppet out of an old coat, and he used ping pong balls for the eyes. Do you have a talent for do-it-yourself/arts and crafts projects? Eh. Depends on what it is. I need a little guidance, that’s for sure–I’m not one to come up with things on my own, but if I have instructions on how to make something, I can do it and I have fun.
8) Random question: Think of the last thing you bought. Did you get a good deal? It was groceries at a chain that’s a little more expensive than others, but we bought certain things on sale and I use Ibotta, an app that has rebates on certain items you can them redeem for gift cards after you earn like $20 in rebates. If you’d like to try it, use my referral code!
9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer? You’ll begin seeing your suggestions as Saturday 9 themes in mid-June. Thanks! I’ll go with what I’m listening to now–The Temptations.