Saturday 9: Listen to the Music (1972)
Because Zippi requested it.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) The lyrics say, “What the people need is a way to make them smile.” What song lifts your spirits and makes you smile every time you hear it? There are a ton, honestly.
2) Lead vocalist/composer Tom Johnston reports that he’s made a lot in royalties because so many radio stations use this as a jingle. Tell us a jingle that sticks in your head. O’Reilly Auto Parts. I hear it on the radio a lot. That and local car dealership Budd Baer.
3) The Doobie Brothers got their start in San Jose, California. San Jose is the largest city in Northern California, thanks to all the tech companies that have headquarters there. Let’s talk about the device you’re on right now: are all your applications up to date? Nope.
5) This week’s song is from Toulouse Street, which is considered their “breakthrough” album. Tell us about a moment in your own life that you consider a “breakthrough.” Realizing I deserved better and wasn’t gonna get it unless I did something about it.
6) In 1987, the Doobie Brothers did a benefit performance for Vietnam Veterans at the Hollywood Bowl. Next to the Beatles, it was the fastest-selling ticket in Hollywood Bowl history. Which group do you listen to more often — the Doobies or the Beatles? The Beatles, by far.
9) Random question: Which of these “top ten” lists would you prefer to be on — the sexiest, the smartest or the richest? They all have their benefits, but I think smartest would be most useful.