… because it’s Father’s Day weekend
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This is the theme from the 1980s sitcom Growing Pains. Alan Thicke played Dr. Jason Seaver, one of TVs popular dads. Who is your favorite TV dad? Charles Ingalls. My mom and I have this long-running joke that he’s actually the perfect man.
2) Joanna Kearns, who played Jason’s wife, reports that she teased her costar by calling him, “Al,” a nickname he hated. Is there someone in your life that you enjoy needling? My fiancé–but only a little–and my brother.
3) For most of the series, the Seaver children each represented a “type.” The oldest, Mike, was the trouble maker. The daughter, Carol, was the brainiac.Young Ben could be very high maintenance. Which of the Seaver kids were you most like when you were growing up? Eh, I don’t know. None? A little of each?
4) In the song, BJ Thomas sings about being “the luckiest dreamer who never quit dreaming.” If you could have any dream come true this Saturday, what would you wish for? A book deal.
5) When he mans the grill, Sam’s father proudly wears the “Kiss the Chef” she gave him for Father’s Day years ago. Tell us about a gift you gave someone that was a hit. I actually pride myself on giving good, personal, creative gifts. Most recently, I got one of my soon-to-be sisters-in-law a bunch of stuff from Lush because I know she loves it but isn’t close to one like we are, so I bought some things and wrapped it in a little Santa scarf thingy. She loved it.
6) Sam’s dad takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his special marinade recipe. Do you have a secret you haven’t even shared with family members? Not really.
7) He recommends using a grill basket when barbecuing vegetables so you don’t have to worry about them falling through the grill. Share one of your culinary tips with us. I don’t really have any! I don’t do enough actual cooking.
8) Sam’s father hates it when she swears. What’s the last curse word you used? I think I just said shit a second ago. We have this mini washing machine we use for small loads so we don’t have to pay every single time, but it needs emptied manually in the bathtub. I usually have my fiancé do it because it’s easier for him to pick it up and maneuver it, but we both forgot it had shut off and needed emptied. So I said, “Shit, the washer needs emptied.”
9) Sam’s father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually want something sweet or salty? Almost always sweet, and actually, I often crave fruit like strawberries or raspberries.