From the archives
1) This week’s song was performed by James Cagney in the famous movie of the same name. Do you plan on going to the movies this holiday weekend? Initially, I wasn’t, but there’s this local movie theater that shows older movies–from vintage classics to releases that recently left theaters–and they’re having a creepy fantasy theme this week. One of the movies they’re showing is Pan’s Labyrinth, which I’ve seen and loved but my fiance has not, so I declared that’s how we’re spending the afternoon of our 4th.
2) Though known for his larger-than-life screen presence, Cagney was only 5’5″. How tall are you? Just a smidge shorter than Cagney at 5’4 1/2″. I include the half when I want to sound less short.
3) During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits this holiday weekend? I haven’t yet, but maybe in the evening. I have moonshine and peach liquor.
4) American history was one of Crazy Sam’s best subjects in school. Science was her worst. In which class did you earn your worst grades? Math, but only after a certain point. I’ve described this before–I can and have done really well in math, getting As, but there always comes a point in any math class I’ve taken where I’m doing great and then suddenly, I’m just…not. Things stop making sense and whatever should click just never does. I never failed a math class, fortunately, but in middle school, I had some grades plummet.
5) The Fourth of July means we’re in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen? If I know I’m gonna be outside for a good while, yes. My skin is pretty fair, and it’ll burn for sure.
6) Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now? Just ones from my usual dry skin.