Saturday 9: The Joker (1973)
because Stacy recommended it.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here
1) In this song, Steve Miller claims he’s a picker, grinner, sinner, lover, smoker and joker. Do any of those six words describe you?
2) He maintains he’s still a midnight toker. When’s the last time you got high? It’s been a few years.
3) The lyrics include a reference to peaches. Name your favorite fruit. Raspberries, strawberries, and cherries.
4) This song had a big impact on the character of Joey on Friends, who had an imaginary friend named Maurice with the occupation of space cowboy. Did you ever have an imaginary friend? Kind of. I didn’t have imaginary friends that were totally made up, but I would imagine myself in scenarios with fictional characters from stories and movies I liked. No wonder I went into writing, even if my fiction anymore is rare.
5) Steve Miller is the pride of Milwaukee, WI. What else is Milwaukee famous for?
I have no idea.
6) Steve Miller considers himself a serious blues guitarist. When did you last feel like singing the blues? I don’t know. It’s been a while.
7) In 1973, when this song was popular, you could buy a portable 8-track tape player for $44.50. On what device do you listen to music most often? Either in the car or on my computer. Computer probably wins, though, because I have musing playing on it almost constantly.
8) A Curious George book packaged with a Curious George plush toy was a big seller at Christmas 1973. Tell us about a toy — either given or received — that brightened a holiday or birthday for you. I can’t really think of a specific one, but I got a lot of Barbies in my time.
9) M*A*S*H was one of TV’s top-rated shows in 1973. Who is your favorite M*A*S*H character? I don’t have one. Haven’t really watched it.