… because Nonnie recommended the Beach Boys
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
4) Brian’s brother Dennis was the cutest member of the group, and also the only one who could surf. Have you been to the beach yet this summer? No! Planning a wedding allows for neither the time nor the money. The goal is still to do it in the winter, when our vacation time resets and we’re not, you know, planning a wedding. Or spending hundreds/thousands of dollars every few weeks.
5) Dennis was also the Beach Boys’ most colorful member. In 1968, he struck up an unfortunate and dangerous friendship with Charles Manson. Is there anyone in your life that you worry has bad taste in friends/lovers? I had some concerns early on with some, but they’ve all matured and sort of risen above past questionable behavior. I will say that my best friend has a knack for getting guys who dump her then regret it. I think almost every guy who’s ever broken up with her has come crawling back. That doesn’t count as her having bad taste, necessarily, it’s just an interesting pattern.
6) Lead singer Mike Love is the grumpiest Beach Boy. He refuses to perform if the concert promotional materials refer to the group or their songs as “oldies.” Does it bother you to hear the songs, TV shows and movies of your youth described as “classics” or “oldies?” I’m not quite old enough for this to be a thing yet–I was born in ’89 and grew up in the ’90s. But what is weird is hearing ’90s songs playing on stations that used to primarily be ’70s and ’80s or hearing that certain movies or albums are 20+ years old.
7) This song has appeared on soundtracks for movies as diverse as Shampoo (1975), The Big Chill (1983), 50 First Dates (2004) and It’s Complicated (2009). Do you own any movie soundtracks? I have a few! Almost all of them are musicals, but I know I have things like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Amelie, A Life Less Ordinary, Marie Antoinette, and Little Miss Sunshine lying around. Probably some others, too.
8) In 1966, the year this song was popular, the Miranda Warning became law. Without looking it up, can you recite any of the Miranda Warning? You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be provided for you. And since that’s as far as they usually go on crime dramas, that’s all I got.
9) Random question: The local college is pleading for models of all ages and sizes to pose for the life drawing class. Would you help the kids by volunteering to pose in the nude? I’d at least think about it.