Saturday 9: Happy Holidays! (from the archives)
1. As you can see, Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick’s lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether — either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn’t celebrate Christmas? I was a shy kid, but I’d go sit in Santa’s lap. It didn’t really bother me. My brother, however, when he was little, cried every year. There’s a great series of photos that tons of families have where I’ve got a nice, big smile and my brother’s crying and has wriggled halfway onto the floor.
2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there? I’m on the Nice list because I’m a good person, damn it!
3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest? I didn’t. My brother-in-law and his wife in California are owed gifts, but they may be moving back in early 2018 so I’m just holding on to them.
4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year? I am notorious for buying myself things while I’m supposed to be shopping for other people, and although I did do it again this year, it wasn’t as bad as it has been in years past and it was mostly clothes. I do try to avoid getting myself things that would make good gifts, especially if I can just point them out to my husband. Although it’s worth mentioning I got almost none of the things I showed him this year.
5. What’s your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year? It’s The Muppet Christmas Carol, and I try to make sure I watch it every year. We put it on at my parents’ place on Christmas Eve.
6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? I don’t think I have. Two of my cousins used to go every year and I was invited a couple of times, but I’m a Christmas couch potato. I like to open presents, park it, eat, and probably nap.
7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party? No–my company only did the office Christmas party for the first time this year, at least since I’ve been there. Since I started, we used to just do a small potluck in the conference room, but we have new management and they decide to bring back the proper office Christmas party. So we had a really nice dinner at a hotel in Pittsburgh, and my husband and I used our two drink tickets and behaved. However, near the end of the night, the DJ–I assume by request–started playing a lot of raunchy ’90s rap, so that was fun and interesting and showed me a whole new side to the company. And in a fun coincidence, when we took dance lessons before our wedding, one of the instructors is in a long-term, committed relationship with one of the women on a different shift. He taught us a couple of times in group classes and a little privately, so when he saw us at the party, he grabbed me and spun me around the dance floor a few times. It was fun and I kind of loved it. It wasn’t at all embarrassing, but it was one of those things where the whole time, I was very aware of what a different side of me it was showing my supervisors and coworkers. I’m quiet at work, and there I was being taken around a dance floor by a proper professional dancer.
8. What’s your favorite beverage in cold weather? Tea or hot chocolate. I don’t necessarily have one particular go-to, though.
9. Share a memory from last Christmas. My cousin and his new wife announced that she was pregnant, and my uncle whipped out champagne to do a toast. It was a neat, exciting moment, and so this year, there’s a new generation included in our festivities.