The Love Club (2013)
Unfamiliar with this week’s song. Hear it here.
1) Lorde has said this song is about a time when she fell into “a bad crowd.” Her high-maintenance new friends were all about their romantic dramas and it overwhelmed her. Have you ever had a friend who was just too much work? I wouldn’t use the word “work,” but my core group of friends reached a point a few years ago where I very strongly felt I needed to remove myself from the group for my own well-being. So I did. Things have been mended some since, but I still believe it was the single best thing I’ve ever done for myself. It was what I needed at the time.
2) She sings that she longs to be alone. Where do you go when you want peace and quiet? Home, because even if my husband’s there, I either don’t need to be away from him or he’ll understand if I ask him to leave me some time by myself. Which, for the record, has never happened.
3) Lorde credits her mother for encouraging her verbal skills. “Mum” let her join a theater class when she was just 5 and was always giving her books. Tell us about an encouraging, understanding adult who assisted you when you were growing up. The adults around me knew I loved to read and showered me with books, really. My dad, for all of his faults, was very much the type to say if you’re good at something and you like it, go for it.
4) Lorde is not the only celebrity from her class at Belmont School in Auckland, New Zealand. Olympian Eliza McCartney was a classmate who went on to win a bronze medal in Rio for the pole vault. Did you participate in any sports in high school? Nope. I hated sports.
6) Lorde wrote music for one of the Hunger Gamessoundtracks. Have you seen any of the Hunger Games movies, or read any of the books? I haven’t, but I’d like to.
7) Her favorite candy is Peanut M&Ms. Do you prefer Milk Chocolate, Peanut, Almond, Mint or Cripsy M&Ms? Oh, peanut, always. Crispy comes in second, though.
8) When Lorde was on stage at Lollapalooza, a sudden storm interrupted her set. The music festival was evacuated and her performance was cancelled. Can you think of a time when the weather had a major impact on your plans? Living in Pennsylvania, snow sometimes leads to canceling or skipping things, or sometimes just adjusting timing. I remember one February in high school when a friend and I were supposed to go down to West Virginia to see Cats and couldn’t because of snow.
9) Random question: Please complete this sentence — Before I leave the house, I always __________________________. Walk all over my apartment gathering the various things I needed, including a few I almost forgot.