Saturday 9: G.I. Blues (1960)
Unfamiliar with this week’s song? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is a federal holiday that honors men and women who served and died in the United States Armed Forces. We want to make sure that message is not lost this weekend.
1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.) I’m not, but I’m surrounded by military. My dad is an Iraq vet who was wounded in combat, my brother’s reserves, one of my brothers-in-law just left the Marines, both grandfathers were in and one was also a Marine, I had a few uncles in, at least one great-grandfather, who I believe was killed by mustard gas, and I’m sure plenty of other cousins and uncles along the way.
2) In this song, Elvis sings about marching, and complains that the Army doesn’t give Purple Hearts for fallen arches. Do you have any aches or pains to report this morning? I have an ear infection…again!
3) This song is from the 1960 film of the same name. In the movie, Elvis is in The 32nd Armor Regiment of the United States Army. That’s the same regiment he served with in real life. He had the 32nd written into the script as a shout-out to the soldiers he came to know, but realized he’d likely never see again. Is there an old friend you’re missing this weekend? All my friends, kind of! We don’t get to see each other often. Adulting.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What’s your favorite picnic food? I’d say potato salad or pasta salad, but I eat both of those year-round.
5) Let’s celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What’s your favorite flavor? Cone or cup? It can change, but generally, strawberry, and that hasn’t changed for a long time. I’d say overall, I enjoy cones more, but sometimes, you just need a cup. Keep it simple.
5) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you applied mosquito repellent? Probably camping last summer.
7) Or swam? Man, I don’t know. I don’t remember if I made it to a pool at all last summer. It was too cold at camp to go in the river.
8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? Nope. One of the positive things I’ll say about the apartment we’re in the process of moving out of is that in the early summer months, it’s kind of perfect. Something about it keeps it cool enough that even though it’s been getting in the 80s, we haven’t had to turn the air conditioner on. This is kind of the best time of year for the utilities–no need for that or the heat.
9) Random question: How do you define success? A mix of the personal and professional, basically focused on my personal terms rather than, like, societal ones or other outside sources like friends and family–reaching goals I set for myself but above all, being happy. I may not be in some prestigious, high-paying job, but I’m consistently progressing towards what I want and where I want to be in life and I’m happy, so I’d say I’m already pretty successful.