Saturday 9: Shut Up + Dance (2014)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This is about a man who meets the woman who is his destiny on the dance floor. Do you think we each have One Great Love preordained by fate? Or do you think life offers each of us many opportunities for romance? Many opportunities. With so many people in the world, we’re bound to have multiple possible soulmates.
2) Lead singer Nick Petricca says this song is inspired by a true story. He was all keyed up and his girlfriend dragged him onto the dance floor, insisting that dancing would cheer him up. Therefore he considers this song an “anthem to letting go and having fun.” Think of the last time you really had fun. Who were you with? What were you doing? I always have fun! I think the last time I had a true, proper good time was a couple weeks ago at Kennywood.
3) The dance floor incident that inspired this song took place in Echo Park, an LA neighborhood located near Elysian Park and Chinatown. Tell us about your village or city. Do the neighborhoods have interesting names? Not where I live, but Pittsburgh has places like Oakland and Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and the Strip District. My husband always says the small towns around here have interesting names, like Fairchance.
4) Walk the Moon promoted this record by a performance on Good Morning America. Are you enthusiastic and energetic at 7:00 AM? Or do you hit your stride later in the day? I mean, I’m functional. I’m not usually sluggish, but I am at my best a couple hours into the day, at lease.
5) “Shut Up + Dance” is the biggest hit by Walk the Moon. The bandmembers met as at Kenyon, Ohio’s oldest private college. Tell us about something that’s old and revered where you live. There’s Washington & Jefferson College a few streets away from where I am right now.
6) Walk the Moon took their name from the Police song, “Walking on the Moon.” What’s your favorite song by Sting and/or The Police? Probably “De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.“
7) In 2014, the year this song was popular, Robin Williams took his own life. What’s your favorite Robin Williams performance? Ooh, I don’t know. My childhood makes me partial to the Genie and Mrs. Doubtfire, but his dramatic roles were great, too.
8) Also in 2014, the Apple Watch was introduced. Are you wearing a watch as you answer these 9 questions? Nope. I never wear a watch.
9) Random question — You must create a coat of arms for yourself, representing your life and spirit. Which of these items would you place at the center: a heart, a sword, or a pen? A pen, since I’m a writer.