Saturday 9: Love Is All Around (1970)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s song is the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, a sitcom that originally aired from 1970 to 1977. Were you a fan? Not really.
2) The song tells us that Mary Richards can turn the world on with her smile. Yet the real-life Mary Tyler Moore said she was uncomfortable with her “wide mouth.” If you could improve on one of your facial features, which would you choose? I’d make my face/neck thinner.
3) We also hear that Mary can “take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile.” What do you think makes a day “a nothing day?” Boredom.
4) Mary works in the newsroom at WJM. Her desk is neat as a pin. Are you neat? Or do you lean to the sloppy side? I’m messy, but my work desk is quite neat.
5) Mary’s best friend, Rhoda, worked as a window dresser at Hempel’s department store. What department store did you most recently shop at? What did you buy? I’m not sure. Does Target count? It was a Target in a mall. I bought closet organizers.
6) Mary Richards lived in Minneapolis. What city is nearest to where you are right now? The closest proper city is Pittsburgh.
7) Originally the part of Mary Richards was written as a divorcee, but in 1970, there were no TV shows that centered around a divorced woman. Think about the women in your life. Are most of them married, divorced, single or widowed? Most of them are either married or in committed relationships–my best friend is divorced but in a new-ish relationship with a great guy, and most of my other friends are either married or in long-term relationships.
8) The MTM production company logo featured a mewing kitten. The cat was found in a Minneapolis shelter, and, after her sequence was shot, she was adopted by a crew member who named her Mimsie. What’s the name of the last cat — or dog or hamster or rabbit — that you petted? My brother and sister-in-law’s two cats last weekend, Persia and Timothy.
9) Random question — Would you rather have a job that kept you seated on your fanny or standing on your feet? Seated, I think, although I have one of those now and it is kind of overrated. I think being on my feet all day would be more tiring, but sitting at a desk isn’t always comfortable.