Saturday 9: The Nanny (1993)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s song is the theme from a sitcom that originally aired from 1993 to 1999. Were you a fan? I watched it on occasion more as a casual fan, but I never really got into it or followed it closely.
2) The song tells us that Fran once worked in a bridal shop. Have you ever worked in a retail setting? Nope. I managed to dodge that bullet.
3) The kids in the Sheffield household appreciate their nanny’s “joie de vivre,” which is defined as “exuberant enjoyment of life.” Are you feeling joie de vivre this morning? I had to work this morning, but it’s been a good evening. So sure.
4) “The Nanny” is the colorful one, the one who wears red when everyone else wears tan. What color do you think you look best in? Red is my favorite color, but I actually think the most flattering colors are a little more subdued–darker shades of things, generally.
5) The TV show The Nanny was the brainchild of actress Fran Drescher. She got the idea while visiting her an old friend in London. Her friend’s pre-teen daughter enjoyed having Fran as a confidante and shopping buddy. Do you enjoy shopping as a leisure activity? Or would you prefer to just dash into a store, grab what you need, and get out and go home? Somewhere in between–I like certain stores and don’t mind wandering around in them, but I’m not much of a browser. I learned this the hard way shopping with a friend in high school, who looked at like every single pair of jeans on a rack to decide on a pair, and I can be in and out. I’m also the kind of picky where I can rule out a whole rack of clothes with a glance.
6) The friend Fran was visiting in London was Twiggy, who was the world’s most famous model in the 1960s. Name another famous model. Iman, wife of David Bowie.
7) The Nanny: The Complete Series is available on DVD on Amazon. It consists of 19 discs and takes 55 hours to watch, start to finish. What TV show have you recently binge watched? I hate binge-watching. I’m just not designed for it. I always feel like I should be doing something productive–I’m the kind of person who tries to cram a lot into a day–plus I kind of just don’t like sitting there for that long. That said, it occasionally happens, usually if something is leaving Netflix. I did it a few years ago for the amazing anime Blood+.
8) The Nanny theme was sung by Liz Callaway. Her father, the late John Callway, was a long-time Chicago newscaster. Have you, or has a loved one, ever been on TV? I was on the local news as a kid. My dad and I were in a local theater to see A Christmas Carol and I looked super cute, and someone from the news picked me out of the crowd to stand behind a table during a Tickle-Me-Elmo raffle. Oh, the ’90s. And I have a friend who’s acting out in LA, and my mom’s board meetings are televised locally. Exciting stuff. My grandma used to watch every one, which was silly but adorable.
9) Random question — Which of these adjectives comes closest to describing you: sexy, sophisticated or down-to-earth? Down-to-earth.