Call Me (1966)
Unfamiliar with this week’s song. Hear it here.
1) Chris Montez sings that you can always call him, regardless of the hour. Do you believe that it’s ever too late to phone someone? I’ll put it this way–I’m the type of person who says, “Call me if you need something, no matter what time it is,” and means it but also says, “It’s after 8, better not bother anyone.”
2) He insists that you can depend on him, even when your friends desert you. Who is someone you can trust to have your back, no matter what? My husband and my best friend.
3) Billy Crystal serenades Meg Ryan — via answering machine — with “Call Me” in When Harry Met Sally. Answering machines have been replaced by voice mail. Who most recently left you a voice mail? I have no idea. The only people who do are my mom and my husband, and that’s only if it’s important.
4) Chris Montez is a graduate of El Camino College in Torrance, California. The average daytime temperature in November in Torrance is 70º. How is the weather where you are today? Cold. I don’t think it rained or snowed at all, but we’ve had a lot of wet weather lately regardless.
5) Today Chris actively promotes a healthy lifestyle to children. He was honored for his efforts by the group SOPA (Stop Obesity, Promote Activity). Do you believe you get enough exercise? I could probably benefit from more, but I do okay. I alternate lifting weights and doing cardio throughout the week and would love to be able to go daily, but that rarely works. I made it four days in a row last week, though, and can probably do the same this week.
6) Released in late 1965, “Call Me” became a big hit in 1966, reaching #2 on the charts. Even though it sold millions of copies and was certified as a Gold Record, it never hit #1. Is winning, or being the best, important to you? Not really. Being good and getting acknowledgment for it, sure, but I don’t need to be at the very top.
7) In 1966, when this was playing on jukeboxes, kids were watching Batman and Star Trek. If you had your choice of watching an episode right now, which would you choose: Star Trek or Batman? It depends entirely on which era we’re talking, because I cannot handle cheesy Adam West Batman.
8) Also in 1966, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay was born. Do you enjoy cooking? I enjoy having a delicious finished product, but I do not enjoy the process of getting there. I’m too impatient.
9) Random question — You have the opportunity to perform in the circus! Would you rather be shot from a cannon, or put your head in the lion’s mouth? Strangely, being shot from a cannon sounds safer, but I would love to get that close to a lion.