Saturday 9: You Make Me Feel Brand New (1974)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) As 2019 kicks off, what are your hopes for the brand new year? To be able to save some money but also do some home improvements. I’m looking at you, new paint or siding.
2) Just because an item isn’t brand new doesn’t mean it isn’t valuable. Have you scored any fabulous finds at a second hand store or website? I’ve added some impressive pieces to my record collection, although I don’t think I have anything super valuable.
3) This song is sung by The Stylistics, a group from Philadelphia. Have you ever been to Philly? Yeah, but I’ve never done much there. Once I was just passing through by train and didn’t do anything other than eat and shop in the train station, and the most recent time was when I went to see Stevie Nicks, and we didn’t do much other than that, either. To be clear, that’s not a complaint. It was a great show.
4) This song was co-written by Thom Bell, a Philadelphia-based musician/producer who was born in Kingston, Jamaica. The average daily temp in Kingston in January is 87º. Do you have plans to get away this winter and go somewhere warm? Not concrete ones, but I wouldn’t be opposed to planning a weekend getaway somewhere. I am working Saturdays in February, though, so that month is out.
5) The Stylistics took their choreography very seriously. As you can see from the video, they even carefully synchronized their hand movements. Do you use your hands much when you talk? I don’t think I do as much as I used to, but who knows? Maybe I just don’t notice it.
6) The lyrics tell us that the singer is grateful for a friend who will walk with him along a path that “sometimes bends.” Looking back on 2018, tell us about a time that life’s path took a bend you didn’t quite expect. In 2018 alone? I don’t know that it did. Things progressed about the way I thought they would, although I didn’t really think my brother would beat me to having kids.
7) In 1974, when this song was popular, Chicago’s Sears Tower opened and was for years the world’s tallest building. Its elevators can carry you to the 103rd floor in approximately a minute. When were you last on an elevator? Not very recently–I just don’t go very many places where I need to use one. So maybe back in early December when I went to D.C. with my mom and her best friend. The elevator was necessary to go to and from our room.
8) Also in 1974, the 55 mph speed limit was imposed nationwide. When you drive, are you careful to stay within the speed limit? Or do you have a led foot? I’m not as bad as I used to be, but I still speed.
9) Random question — It’s time to pose for your Saturday 9 yearbook picture. Will you show us your right profile, your left profile, or will you look directly into the camera? Probably just direct into the camera, although my right side is my best.