Saturday 9: My Favorite Things (2018)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s artist, Jennie Abrahamson, is very happy living in Stockholm, but she refers to Paris as “a flirt.” She enjoys her time there so much she always wants to return. Is there a place you’ve visited that tugs at your heart and imagination, tempting you to return? New York City. It’s been a good several years since I visited, but I always loved it and felt like I could live there.
2) Jennie has said her music has been heavily influenced by 80s pop, which was popular in her early teen years. Are your favorite songs the ones you listened to when you were growing up? Some of them. My parents raised me on the music from their teens, and I still love that. As for what I discovered and fell in love with on my own as a teenager, some of it I kind of got tired of and have left behind, some I still love–and sometimes there’s a middle ground, where I forget about something for a long time and then re-discover it.
3) “My Favorite Things” is from The Sound of Music. Crazy Sam’s high school claim to fame was playing Sister Margaretta in the senior class production. Though not a big part, her performance lives on because relatives love embarrassing her with pictures of her in an especially unflattering nun’s habit. Who took an embarrassing photo of you? What were you doing? There’s a very unflattering photo, or was, of me asleep on our flight home from Mexico.
4) The lyrics celebrate “brown paper packages tied up in strings.” What was in the last box you received in the mail? I believe it was a cat necklace I bought on Etsy. If not, it was clothes. Can’t remember what came on what day.
5) It mentions doorbells and sleighbells. What’s the most recent bell or alarm that you heard? Probably the bell in professional wrestling I had to watch at work on Friday.
6) This song has nice things to say about cold weather, specifically snowflakes and mittens. What do you like about winter? Snow is pretty. That’s it.
7) Dog bites and bee stings are singled out as things that can leave us feeling sad. What’s most recently given you the blues? A funeral.
8) In 2018, when this song was released, Roger Federer won the Australian Open. Are you good with a racket? Nope.
9) Random question — Your local zoo announced the hatching of three snowy owlets. All males. You won the honor of naming them. Go ahead. Harry Potter names are the obvious choice. You could go with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, or Hedwig and two other owl names from the books.