Shake It Off (2014)
Unfamiliar with this week’s song. Hear it here.
1) This song makes Crazy Sam want to dance. What song inspires you to get on your feet? There are many.
2) Paul McCartney met Taylor Swift at the SNL 40 Anniversary special and told her he really enjoys playing and singing this song. What’s the last song you sang along with? I don’t know, which is weird because I sing along to almost everything. Nothing that’s popping up in my “recently played” tabs is something I sing along to.
3) The lyrics tell us Swift “shakes off” nasty gossip and unfair criticism. What about you? Do you worry about what others think of you? Generally, no. I toe this weird line where I don’t care about the world at large, yet I don’t like it if I think someone dislikes me.
4) Her parents are big music fans, and were going to name their baby (boy or girl) “Taylor” after their favorite artist, James Taylor. Can you think of a singer that your mom and/or dad really enjoyed? Oh, easy. We were raised on music. For my mom, her biggest two were and still are Prince and Stevie Nicks. The only solo artist I ever remember my dad really enjoying was Meatloaf–and Steve Perry–but he was mostly into classic-rock bands.
5) She grew up on an 11-acre Christmas tree farm. Do you get a fresh tree every year, or do you have an artificial tree, or do you not put up a tree at all? We have an artificial tree, but we never finished putting it up last year. We were kind of trying to do it in stages because of the cat, who was new at the time, and never finished, and this year, we’ve added a second cat to the mix, so who knows?
6) Taylor Swift is 5’10”. According to the CDC, the average American woman is 5’4″ while men are, on average, 5’9″. Are you taller or shorter than average? I am technically taller than average, coming in at 5’4 1/2″.
7) She enjoys good, old fashioned mysteries, especially those by Agatha Christie. Are you currently reading a book for pleasure? I am always reading a book for pleasure. The current stack is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson, The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
8) Her brother Austin is a freelance photographer who took the official pictures for her 2008 concert tour. Who took the last photo of you? Myself, but other than that, my mom took one of my recently being harassed by the dog for food.
9) Random question: What’s your go-to comfy outfit? Anything involving leggings. Unless I’m at home, in which case it’s either my undies or, in the winter, flannel jammies.