Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) Black is this week’s signature color because Friday was “Black Friday,” the day when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any “Black Friday” bargains? No, but I did hit Cyber Monday deals.
2) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game? Nope.
3) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam’s homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she’s so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table? My mom made my grandma’s potato salad, and then at some point, my dad had made and frozen a few pans of lasagna before he died, so we had one of those. It was nice and weird all at once.
4) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl’s, Macy’s and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose? Probably Target.
5) This week’s song, “Baby’s in Black,” is about a girl who wears black because she’s in mourning. Do you find that the color you’re wearing reflects your mood? Almost never.
6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship. Respect, trust, and dependability.
7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you’re going to finish “someday?” Ha, story of my life.
8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England (though he did also maintain a home in Hawaii). Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where? No, but I think I’d do okay in Canada or England.
9) Random question: Finish this sentence — If you want me to give you “yes” for an answer, the best time to approach me is _____________________. Probably afternoon or evening, as long as I’m not hungry.