Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s Saturday 9 has a football theme because there’s a big game Sunday. Will you be watching? Nope! I was at my sister-in-law’s baby shower, and then we (and by “we” I mostly mean my husband because I, too, am pregnant and was therefore banned from carrying basically everything) hauled all the gifts back to the house.
2) The Super Bowl is a big day for food consumption in the US, second only to Thanksgiving. What’s on your menu this weekend? Baby shower food! So potato salad, rigatoni, green beans, your standard Pennsylvania fire-hall event fare.
3) The NFL has decreed that the Super Bowl will never be played in a city that has a median February temperature of less than 50º. Would your hometown qualify for the Big Game? No, although today, we hit a little above 60, and it’s not the first time this winter and I don’t expect it to be the last.
4) This version of the NFL theme song mentions the Steelers and the Broncos. During the regular season, which team do you root for? How did they do in 2019? So the Steelers are my local team, and my understanding is they didn’t have a great season. But here’s the thing–I don’t like football. I find it boring and borderline pointless, and I think this country has a serious issue with venerating both the sport and its players from the local level all the way to the top that we overlook a lot of really bad things, going all the way up to the NFL, which needs to take concussions seriously, including a willingness to entertain studies involving medical marijuana rather than their current bullshit stance on avoiding in entirely under the guise of keeping things family-friendly, which leads me to my second issue with the organization. Drug use, medical or otherwise, is more frowned upon than domestic violence, which the organization has not done enough to address, and which seems to be related in part to the fact that we as a society venerate football players…
5) This version of the Sunday Night Football song is by Faith Hill. She also has ties to the MLB, since her husband is Tim McGraw, son of the Mets’ pitcher Tug McGraw. Which sport do you prefer — baseball or football? Baseball, although I can’t really stand to watch it on TV. I’ll get bored with that. But I’ll gladly go to a game or two during the season. I have fun, even if the Pirates are doomed to spend eternity losing.
6) Faith has performed live at more than one The Super Bowl in the past, performing both “America, the Beautiful” and “The Star Spangled Banner.” What’s your favorite patriotic song? “Battle Hymn of the Republic.” Let’s play that one at sporting events!
7) She has a perfume line with Coty that was a big seller at CVS during Christmas 2018. What’s the last item you bought at a drugstore? I got a flu shot and then was thirsty and bought a small bottle of juice.
8) Faith Hill is the producer of a talk show on CMT called Pickler and Ben. Is the TV on as you answer these questions? If so, what are you watching? It is not.
9) Random question: You’ve got a chip in your hand and three dips to choose from — guacamole, salsa, and onion. Where does your chip get dipped? I go for the salsa first and the most, as long it’s mild, and I dabble in the quac. I probably try the onion a couple times but stick to what I know I like.