- What do you do when it’s bedtime and you’re not sleepy? Usually grumble about it to my husband, screw around on my phone, and lie in bed until I fall asleep. Which usually doesn’t take too long, even if I’m not tired.
- When were you most recently bashful? I don’t know. It’s not like I’ve interacted with many people lately.
- Have you seen a doc in the past nine months? I have a five-month-old baby, so sure have! I was going once a month in early pregnancy, then every three weeks, then every two, then every one, then my six-week follow up after he was born. I was quite glad when that one was over and I knew such frequent visits were done. They’re super important, of course, and it’s not like I didn’t want to make sure he and I were both healthy, but man, was I tired of going there.
- What’s got you feeling grumpy lately? The reaction to the governor shutting down things like indoor dining, which is why I think he waited so long to do it. He knew he’d face swift, intense backlash because this state, and our part of it in particular, is struggling with listening to the facts about the virus. What really bothers me is frequent comparisons to Hitler and the Holocaust, as though public-health shutdowns and genocide are remotely similar, as well as nasty transphobic attacks toward our health secretary. There’s also a strange idea that the governor is trying to kill small businesses and wants them to fail, which I think defies logic. No governor wants their state to struggle and take a hard financial hit, and I’m frustrated that the people lobbing these accusations aren’t thinking critically about it at all.
- What’s making you happy today? My husband, my kid, and my cats. And the fact that I bought a new doorbell. Currently, we have some wires poking out of a hole. And the fact that I also bought window-cling candles. We don’t have proper windowsills, at least not ones big enough to house little candle decorations, but I found ones you just stick in your window that have a small battery pack and run on a timer. I joked that we’re the Grinch house of the street because this is our third Christmas here and the first we’ve put up any decorations for various reasons, one of which is just figuring out what we like and what suits the house. We probably won’t do much more next year, but I think next year, I’d like to add some wreaths in the mix.
From Friday 5.