- What’s better in its middle than in its edges, beginnings, or ends? Cake. A vacation. Pregnancy.
- Why is a sunrise better than a sunset? Promise. You have a whole day ahead of you to make the best of, and although I’m no often paying attention to the sunrise, I do think there’s something to be said for starting your day with something so pretty.
- What’s better in retrospect than when you experienced it? Childbirth, sort of, more in the sense that because we don’t truly remember pain, it’s easier to look back on it. But rest assured that in the middle of it, I was so, so ready for it to be over.
- What songs have wonderful endings? The finale of Camille Saint-Saens’ “Organ Symphony.” Leonard Cohen’s “Anthem.” It starts as a fairly simple, straightforward ballad, but it builds into something that’s so pretty. The instrumental parts in the middle and end are my favorite. I think Cohen’s backing singers sometimes overshadow him–he’s not the best singer–but they’re used to great, more subtle effect here. The whole song is beautifully arranged, with everything working together nearly perfectly.
- What was the first thing you unwrapped in 2021? My baby from his sleep sack! Or possibly, technically myself from my own blankets.
From Friday 5.