Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.
1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own? I woke up on my own, but then dozed off for a little bit longer until my alarm went off. I have a seven-month-old, and he generally sleeps through the night and I want to keep him on a schedule, so to avoid getting too thrown off, I don’t let him sleep past 7:30–which means I don’t, either.
2) This single was produced by Bette’s arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song? It was “Mandy” for a while, but probably “Copacabana.”
3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler’s favorite actresses were. Who are yours? I’m partial to Judy, too.
4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was “the one” that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly? I’d say that falling in love with my husband felt like it happened very fast but that because of that, I tried not to move fast. I didn’t want to get too ahead of myself.
5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker …? I’m currently making a little bit of pasta. Stovetop, of course.
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, “Compromise is hardest of all.” On what have you compromised recently? I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like anything’s come up lately needing a compromise.
7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb? We do well with our garden outside, save a few things that need tweaking–for some reason, cucumbers don’t do so well for us–but we’re horrible with indoor plants. We tend to forget about them and kill them accidentally.
8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He’s best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan? I’ve watched and enjoyed a few episodes.
9) Random question — How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never? Never.