Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Johnnie Ray assures us we’ll feel better if we cry. Do you agree? Oh, yeah. You need that sometimes.
2) He also mentions waking from a dream, believing it was real. Has that ever happened to you? Yep, especially when I was younger.
3) Because this record was such a massive hit, Johnnie Ray was nicknamed “The Prince of Wails.” Without looking it up, do you know who is currently the Prince of Wales? Yep, Prince Charles.
4) To cash in on the success of this single, 20th Century Fox cast Johnnie Ray in a big-budget musical, There’s No Business Like Show Business. Today it’s best remembered as a Marilyn Monroe movie. Have you seen many of Marilyn’s films? I don’t think I’ve seen any, actually.
5) After graduating from high school, Johnnie worked at low-paying jobs, including bus boy and soda jerk. He found he made better tips when he began playing piano in restaurants. Have you ever worked for tips? No.
6) In 1969, Johnnie was in the news a lot again because he performed with Judy Garland during her European tour and was best man at her wedding to Mickey Deans. Tell us what you wore to the most recent wedding you attended. I’ve been avoiding large gatherings because with COVID raging, I think they’re a terrible idea, but on Halloween, I did go to my brother’s wife’s sister’s wedding because my niece was in it. I wore a dark-green dress that had a little stretch to it–I had a baby in June and knew I could fit into it.
7) In 1952, when this song was a hit, Mr. Potato Head made his debut. It was the first toy advertised on television. What TV commercial have you seen recently? I can’t think of any. We stream a lot, Netflix in particular lately, so no ads.
8) Also in 1952, chlorophyll was all the rage for banishing bad breath. Colgate led the way by adding it to their toothpaste. Do you use gum, mints, mouthwash, or breath strips? I sometimes carry mints.
9) Random question — Congratulations! You won a free three night/two day weekend for two in Las Vegas! The weather is predicted to be sunny and 65º each day you’re there. It’s 12:00 noon on your first day. Are we most likely to find you: a) gambling in the casino or b) having breakfast in bed or c) outside, enjoying the sun and the sights? Normally, I’d say having breakfast in bed, but I’m so used to being up early that I think I’d probably be finishing up gambling and getting ready to hit one of the famous Vegas buffets for lunch.