Unfamiliar with this week’s song. Hear it here.
1) Did you dream last night? I have vague memories of a dream, yes.
2) In this song, The Everly Brothers dream of kissing “lips of wine.” Do you prefer red or white wine? White. Red’s a little too acidic, I guess I’d say?
3) In 1975, Rolling Stone ranked Phil and Don #1 on their list of the greatest duos of all time. Name another musical twosome. My favorite musical twosome, Erasure!
4) Mike Love has acknowledged the influence The Everly Brothers had on The Beach Boys’ harmonies. What’s your favorite Beach Boys song? I’m pretty sure I’ve said this before, but “I’m Waiting for the Day” and “Sloop John B.” Those two songs made me understand the hype behind Pet Sounds.
5) The pressure of touring took its toll on the Everly Brothers’ personal relationship, and those stresses spilled onto the stage. They once had a fight in front their audience that ended with Phil smashing his guitar and storming off. Have you ever busted something in anger?
6) One of Don’s friends was author/storyteller Garrison Keillor and that’s how the Everly Brothers came to perform on Keillor’s radio program, A Prairie Home Companion. Do you often listen to the radio or to podcasts? Not a ton, mostly because the time I used to have for that is gone. I work from home, and I usually listen to the radio when I drive, and I used to listen to podcasts at the gym and then got pregnant, and then COVID happened, and now I go sometimes and need new earbuds.
7) The brothers chose to live in different cities and held opposite views on politics. Don said, “Everything is different about us, except when we sing.” Do you have siblings? If so, are you more alike or different? I have a brother, ad we’re fairly similar all around. We have our disagreements, but usually nothing beyond the occasional personality clash or predictable gripe between siblings.
8) In 1958, the year this song was a hit, Americans were doing the Cuban dance, the cha-cha-cha. Do you ever dance or sing when you’re home alone? I sing along to music fairly often, but these days, it depends heavily on if, like, we have Winnie the Pooh on for my son. And at that, I can’t guarantee I won’t sing along to that, so…
9) Random question — Do you believe we each get one true love? I’ve said this before, too, but no! I believe that are too many people in the world for everyone to only have one person for them.