Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend (Theme from Kate and Allie) (1984)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This week’s song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan? Nope.
2) The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent? No to both, although when my dad was deployed, my mom was effectively a single parent.
3) Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: “Just the essence of the bean. No acidity.” Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of? My work ethic.
4) Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer? In a tiny little room off of the kitchen. Eventually, one of the things I want to do in this house is make that space more efficient. They’re old appliances, so when they crap out on us and are ready to be replaced, I’d like to put in a stacking set to free up some space and do something to make the drainage and venting a little better. Everything’s kind of crammed in there and set up a little weird, but look, it’s a major upgrade from shared apartment laundry that was $2 a load, $4 if you dried.
5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the “wife” in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan? Nope.
6) Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two? Gilda Radner and Laraine Newman, but I did Google to double-check the spelling of Laraine’s name.
7) On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill? A little bit of both.
8) The Kate & Allie theme was cowritten and sung by John Lefler. Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show. Is anyone in your life into Pokemon? The only reason I’m not playing Pokemon Go right now is because the app needs updated, as do most of my apps. My brother plays, too. My mother makes fun of us both.
9) Random question: What’s the last thing you whispered? I don’t know what the exact word/phrase was, but it was something to my mom at the movies last weekend when we went to see Mamma Mia.