- What are you most likely to reach for when you stress-eat? I’m not really a stress eater at all, but if I happen to be hungry and angry or burned out, pasta. It’s my favorite food overall anyway.
- When were you last disappointed by a meal? Speaking of pasta, we went out to see Rocky Horror as usual and ate out before, and I ordered this pasta that wasn’t bad or anything, but it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. The sauce had a flavor to it I wasn’t too thrilled with.
- What food are you sad you can’t get anymore? All of my grandma’s cooking. My aunt has nailed down her apricot cookies and poppyseed cake and I’m confident we do a good job with her potato salad, but we also never got it quite right. And her cottage cheese and dumplings–that’s a super easy one that’s not, like, a recipe unique to her or anything and could be duplicated just fine, it’s just that I’ve never tried. I should.
- For what food will you make an exception to a personal rule? Speaking of Grandma’s food, my mom makes her soups on occasion, which are of course made with meat, and I’m a vegetarian. I’ll also still eat her rigatoni, even though that has meat in the sauce. I avoid it as much as possible. Shrimp is also still a weakness of mine, although I successfully avoid it almost all of the time, and good, fresh crab tempts me anytime I’m at the beach.
- What’s something you really like but would never order while dining out because you have it at home all the time? It’s not necessarily because I have it at home a lot, but any Polish food that’s common in the family at holidays and such, I think in part because the family does it the best, of course, and it just feels pointless. Now, if there’s a restaurant that has a reputation for that cuisine or a specific food, I’ll try it–I did that with this Hungarian place we went to with Marissa and Meri where I got pierogis. And for a while, I stopped eating eggplant parmesan when I went out because I preferred how I make it at home. I haven’t made it in a while, though, and I should get back into that.
As always, from Friday 5.