- What’s your strategy for eluding danger? Paying attention to what’s happening around me.
- What have you recently escaped? Feeling shitty, physically speaking.
- When did you last dodge a question? Not recently, I don’t think. I expected to have to do it over the holidays, but I was wrong, fortunately.
- Whose slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are you grateful aren’t yours? Lately, my best friend. She has two concussions from two car accidents.
- What’s something (or who is someone) you’ve rescued? Baby birds! I had to work from the office in September and came home one day to find two baby birds had fallen from their nest in the tree in our front yard–it looked like rain or wind had pretty much split the thing in half. One was already dead and did look younger and more fragile than the other, but the other was still alive. My mom had done something similar once, so I called her and asked her what to do. Combined with her experience and a website for a local wildlife rehab, I made a makeshift nest out of a plastic box that had kiwi in it originally, and my husband picked up the bird and put him in it. We checked on him for the next couple of days, and Mama did come for him and used our little next. But not too longer after, it looked like they moved on, perhaps to a sturdier tree.
From Friday 5.